"Day Is For Eating"

One of the best things about South Korea has to be the food. I was never much of a meat-eater before we moved to Daegu. I mean, I ate it, but I can't say I ever really craved stuff like steak or ribs or anything. In fact, I still don't. But maaaan... Gimme galbi, samgyeopsal, or bulgogi any day of the week.


Day is for eating. So is afternoon. And evening. This was in the window of a pet accessory store, btw, so it seems that even the animals in Korea acknowledge how delicious the food is here. 

We went for lunch a week ago at one of those lovely places where you grill your own food at the table. Usually I'm all about galbi when we go to those places, but that day David wanted duck. I know sometimes duck in the US can be a bit greasy, but evidently Korea raises some sort of magic duck that tastes like wonderfulness. It's a perfect cross between chicken and turkey, and it makes our bellies feel so happy. 


No food in this picture, but the duck made our faces look like this. Of course, my face looks like this a lot in Korea...

After stuffing ourselves with duck, we had to cram bingsu in our bellies. Bingsu is shaved ice with condensed milk covered in stuff. What they put on it depends on where you go - I've see it with strawberries, oreos, mangoes, and we even tried some at BBQ Chicken that was covered in cereal. Like breakfast cereal. It was ... not my favorite.  

This particular one had oreos. At the bottom there were red beans, which I don't mind, but Reagan is not a fan of. 

 But bingsu though.

Korea has this way of taking food from other countries and adding its own special Korean flair. Korean pizza always comes with corn. Korean Mexican food doesn't always use refried beans. Sometimes they're just whatever beans the owner had on hand that day. And today, when I tried a lamb kebab wrap, I found the fun addition of both corn and sweet pickles. Granted, I don't eat a lot of Turkish food, but I tell you what. I don't usually think of sweet pickles when I think of kebab. Still, it was surprisingly tasty. (Juli, if you're reading this, please don't look at the picture. Both the food and the photo quality will just make you sad.)


Also, this particular food joint was playing very loud Christian rock, which David and I found really amusing. We've heard a lot of different music styles in our time in Korea, but that was a first. 


I love going out to eat here. There's a South African restaurant nearby that I can't wait to try. Further bulletins as events warrant!

Comments

Popular Posts