Symmetry



Life is weird.

In 2014, the week before our last Thanksgiving in Daegu, we got a phone call that David's mom Gayle had passed away. It was such a difficult experience in so many ways, and David managed to shoulder all the stresses like the rock that he is.

When we found out we'd be coming back to Korea, we were of course overjoyed, but we also knew that the chances of seeing David's dad Bob again would be slim. He was 78 years old, he had diabetes, Parkinson's, and liver cancer. Luckily David and the kids visited him before we left and spent a lot of time chatting and just soaking up the love that he exuded.

Last week, David's brother called to let him know it was time to come say goodbye. The unit here got everything set up amazingly quickly, and David flew out the next day in time to be at his father's bedside holding his hand as he slipped away.

As much as we adore this country, it's been really hard to get excited about exploring it now. I miss my husband, I wish I'd been able to see Bob one last time, and I'm filled with regret and sorrow for all the time I didn't spend with him. As a military family it's rare to be near family, so we make the journey to visit as often as we can, but I didn't get to see him before I left and my heart is breaking because of it. I loved that goofy man so much.

I can hear my not-so-little-anymore monkeys up and moving, so I'm going to go pull them close and whisper how much I love them. I think they know, but I need to make sure.


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys! We love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts